Saturday, February 19, 2011

Adoption Themed Jewelry, Gear, and Books

Just wanted to share a few sites that have great adoption related gear! These all would make AWESOME baby shower/child welcoming gifts for a waiting adoptive mama! This is a work in progress and is by no means a complete list of books and gear. I have just seen a lot of wonderful ideas shared recently and wanted to compile a list before I lost track of them all.

Jewelry:

Junk Posse (I got my "Hands for Africa" pendant here and I had "Little K" engraved on the back. I wore this during our wait to bring him home. This pendant will be Bunte's when he is grown (up enough to have it/wear it without losing it)! Some of the designs benefit various people's adoption. Check it out!)

bel kai designs (My wonderful husband let me pick out my own Valentine. I ordered the "family tree" pendant and had it customized for our family. Picture to follow when it arrives!)

Hope Bracelets (I don't have one...yet. But the purchase of these bracelets provides funding to the Foundation of Hope and Grace that gives grants to adoptive families... and many other things as well.)

DaisyDream4us (Fellow adoptive mom using her gifts to create beautiful jewelry to help fund her adoption.)

Light Gives Heat (Awesome bead jewelry made in Africa and its proceeds are actually for the people who make it. Great way to "be the change.")

Little Goody 2-Shoes (Bottle cap necklace with Africa in the center made by an 11 year old girl who uses the proceeds to buy shoes for people in Africa who need them. I love this girl's heart!)

Stationary:

Mandy's Moon (This site has great ideas for adoptive parents. Not to mention it celebrates multiculturalism! I ordered some awesome address labels!)

Dolls:

Sitina Dolls (Wonderful dolls made by a Nigerian woman. A great conversation starter about the love first moms and adoptive moms have for a child.)

Books for Adoptive Parents (and family of adoptive parents):

In on it: What adoptive parents would like you to know about adoption. (I have not read this book yet, but will post a review when I do. It is great idea for families members to read while an adoptive family is journey down the hard road of THE WAIT.)

The Connected Child by Karen Purvis (One of favorites! Great ideas for attachment parenting and healing. This book is particularly appropriate for parents with children that joined their families as "older children."

There Is No Me Without You by Melissa Faye Greene (Such an amazing story about a woman's journey to help children orphaned by AIDS. I have never cried so much as I did when I read this book and after going to Ethiopia the story is so much more real to me.)

Black Baby White Hands by Jaiya John (I wish I could have everyone that knows my kids read this book. I know it probably won't happen, but I think it would change the way people interacted with my children and would keep well-meaning people from saying "I don't see color" etc. This is a personal story told by an adult adoptee who grew up in a transracial family. It is HARD to read. Not because it is hard to understand, but because it hurt my heart to read about his pain. I hope my kids never feel as isolated as he did at times. Reading this book helped me understand the impact and importance of environment and relationships have on my children.)

Children's Books About Adoption:

Yafi's Family: and Ethiopian boy's journey of love, loss, and adoption. (Great story and discussion started for families to discuss adoption.)

God Found Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren: To this day, I cannot read this book without getting teary. Such a sweet reminder to our children how much we longed for them and prayed for them before we ever knew them by name.

Tell Me Again About the Night I was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis (Great story about domestic infant adoption. It is such a cute book and appropriate for very young children. P loves this one!)

Art:

jodi queenan (She has AMAZING artwork. I purchased this print from her when we started the process for little B. We hung it in the boys bathroom (it matches the paint in that room best.) Anyhow, yesterday I was giving him a bath and he pointed to it and said, "Mommy (points to the fair-skinned lady) Bunte (points to the dark-skinned baby)." While he is not a baby, he definitely could relate to the picture. And it led to some deeper discussion. I love art work and literature that mirrors our family, simply because we can relate and because it is obviously not as mainstream and easy to find as art and literature about families created the "traditional" way. When I went back to visit her site, I saw they she now does jewelry and life books as well! Awesome! I was also thinking that I would like to purchase a print for the boys room at some point. I like this one and this one. Which would you choose? Finally, she gives some of her profits the Kolfe Youth Orphanage in Addis.


Other Ideas:

Pitter Patter Art (Awesome selection of art and clothing with adoption themes. She also just has absolutely adorable kid stuff!)

For Such As These (A fellow adoptive mom waiting on her son in Ethiopia. Her daughter is making hand bags with an Africa print.)

Stitches So Sweet (This adoptive mom does amazing embroidery and custom decals! She even has baby bloomers and bibs with Africa designs. They are too cute!)

Our Heart in Ethiopia (Vinyl decals of Africa with a heart stamped in Ethiopia. These would make great additions to kid's rooms or gear!)

No comments: